Develops, produces and markets SCA’s publications: SCA Newsletter, Directory of Archival and Manuscript Repositories in California, and other publications.
This committee supervises all print and online publications that are produced under the aegis of the Society of California Archivists, Inc., except the Membership Roster, the Preserving Your History brochure series, and other additional publications produced by the Outreach and Publicity Committee.
- Develops timelines and budgets for all SCA publication-related activities.
- Provides quarterly reports detailing the committee’s accomplishments and future plans of action for Board approval.
- Oversees editing, production, and distribution of the SCA Newsletter and represents Newsletter interests to the SCA Board. When the Newsletter Editor position becomes vacant, the Publications Committee Chair initiates a search for a replacement Editor and recommends a potential successor to the Board for review and approval. Should no replacement be available, it is the responsibility of the Publications Committee to ensure the regular and timely appearance of the Newsletter.
- Represents the interests of the Board in the case of joint publication ventures between SCA and other professional organizations or institutions.
- Plans and supervises the continuing transition of SCA’s Directory of Archival and Manuscript Repositories in California to an online database format, in cooperation with appropriate SCA committees as well as SCA allies and partners.
- Develops proposals for new publications. Once a new publication is approved by the Board, the Committee supervises its production and distribution.
- Explores external funding from appropriate grant agencies (e.g. NHPRC, CCH, etc.) to support publication programs.
- Works with the Outreach and Publicity Committee to advertise SCA publications in all appropriate venues.
- Sends copies of all SCA publications, as well as the Committee’s non-current records, to the SCA Archives. CA Handbook: Section 3, page 66.
- Handles all requests for permission to republish or distribute SCA publications. Individuals or organizations desiring to reprint articles from the Newsletter or other SCA publications should be asked by the Chair to observe the following requirements:
a. Secure prior permission from publication editors and original authors
b. Give credit to SCA as the original publisher and copyright holder
c. Send two copies of the publication to the Publications Committee Chair for deposit in the SCA
- Reviews and, as needed, recommends updates to the following sections of the SCA Handbook: 3-13 Publications Committee, 3-13-1 Newsletter, 3-13-1-1 Advertisement Rates, and 3-13-1-2 Advertisement Sizes.